This hike should be particularly interesting as it will take us along the Morris Canal's Ledgewood Incline Plane with a special commentary from Joe Macasek who will lead a tour of the turbine chamber, the surrounding artifacts and a nearby mine.
[See 4/10/10 News: Hikes & Ramstein Beer Open House and Split Rock Village Furnace Tour & Hike for background information on Joe Macasek.]
From there, we'll do a short hike up and over the lookout mountain behind the mine.
Here are some links detailing the history of this neck of the woods:
- History of Roxbury Township, NJ
- Timeline of the history of Roxbury, NJ
- History of Landing in Roxbury, NJ
Roxbury Township's Ledgewood Pond Hike Details:When: Saturday, September 18, 2010, 9am sharp.
Where: Roxbury Township, Ledgewood Pond parking lot.
Total Time: ~ 3 hours
Fee: $5 per person suggested [Joe hands out some amazing documents]
If you intend to participate, you must let Tom Edmunds from MCPC Trails Mapping/GIS know. Contact him via email at
Nitty gritty Roxbury Township Ledgewood Pond Hike details:We’ll meet at the parking lot on Emmans Rd for a 9 AM start. Be aware that there's a lot of poison ivy in this area and we strongly urge you to wear long pants and shirts. Roxbury Township personnel are going to “rid” the immediate area of the mess but still be warned.
Bring water and a snack. The port-o-john should be available.
If you haven't attended a MCPC hike before, you will need to sign a 'release' form.
Directions for the Roxbury Township Ledgewood Pond Hike:
- From Morristown area: Take Sussex Ave or route 10 west to Roxbury/Succasunna.
- Merge on to route 46 west (at the old Ledgewood circle) and keep to the right. Make a U turn right before the light and come back (eastward) on route 46, keeping to the right again.
- Turn right after the ATV/Motor cycle store on to Main Street Ledgewood. Continue a short distance and turn right on Emmans Rd.
- Go 100 yards and turn right into the Canal Park parking lot. Go to the far end.
Once you get there, Tom, Janet and Russ will take care of the rest! And, I'll be tracking our steps via Everytrail!
See you there.